Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Do turkeys really trot?

So I ran my first 10k since the fiasco last February on Thanksgiving this past week. It was the inaugural Folsom Turkey Trot, on a course that I loathe: a hilly, tight bike path that cannot accommodate the massive amount of people that show up to these things. And thanks to clear as mud starting line directions, I started the race 15 minutes after the 10k participants left. I never heard the start for the 10k, hence having to weave my way through an insane amount of strollers, dogs, and little kids. But once I hit the 10k turn off that separates the race from the 5k, things picked up.
Normally I abstain from wearing headphones at races, but I'd figure I would try it out and see what happens. I made an unusually long playlist of songs specifically picked to keep me going, and man did it work. I waited until the 10k turn to put the headphones on, and cranked the music. And because I had screwed up the start, I was running by myself. For 4 miles I saw maybe 15 people. It was great. And the music kept me energized, and I never hit that wall I usually do around 4 miles in. So when I crossed the 10k finish line I looked at the start clock for the 5k race which showed 1:10. I thought that seemed like a pretty bad time considering how good I felt running, when the guy at the finish line told me that the course was 7.4 miles long instead of the customary 6.2 miles. Which means I could have finished the 10k in less than 60 minutes, but was foiled again.
Still, what went from a potentially terrible experience turned out great, and having run the extra 1.2 miles gave me a reason to have another piece of pie. The only downside is I have absolutely no proof of my time as the cutoff for posting 10k times was 1:10, and that clock showed me at 1:20. Ah well, maybe next time.

No comments: